Chat GPT from Chat AI has taken the world by storm. You can use it for many purposes, but in this blog post, I want to talk about how to use it for writing emails.
Chat GPT can help you write more compelling and effective emails, by suggesting subject lines, introductory stories or paragraphs, and calls-to-action.
For promotional emails, it can help you write an entire email.
I recommend always editing and personalizing what Chat GPT writes by adding your own stories and e experience. While you can get great ideas for content, its writing is rather bland.
Some ideas that Chat GPT suggested
When I asked Chat GPT how it could help with emails, it said:
- Personalization at Scale: How AI can help personalize emails at scale, by using natural language generation to create personalized content based on customer data. My note: I‘m not sure how I could do this using the tools I have now. How would I integrate the data with the email?
- Enhancing Creativity: How AI can help boost creativity in email writing by suggesting new angles, ideas, and perspectives for email campaigns. My note: I’ve done this successfully and I think it’s an easy and productive way to use Chat GPT.
- AI Writing Assistance: How AI-powered writing tools like Chat GPT can assist in crafting more compelling and effective emails, by suggesting subject lines, introductions, and call-to-actions. My note: This also works well for me. By introductions, I think it means the beginning of an email, but I forgot to ask. You can ask it what it means and it will tell you!
- Personalization at Scale: How AI can help personalize emails at scale, by using natural language generation to create personalized content based on customer data. My note: Again, this seems to be beyond the capabilities of the technology I’m using, which is just an email service provider.
- Language Optimization: How AI can analyze language patterns and help optimize email writing for different audiences, leading to higher engagement and conversion rates. My note: I suppose I could tell it the different audiences I have and ask it to write some variations. I’ll give you one example below. But I don’t know where it would find language patterns of my subscribers.
- Email Copy Optimization: How AI can assist in A/B testing of email copy, helping to identify which versions perform better and leading to more effective email campaigns. My note: This sounds good but again, it seems to require technology that I don’t have. However, I CAN A/B test my email subject lines using my email service provider.
Finding your marketing voice
Chat GPT can help you find your marketing voice by writing in a variety of styles. Here’s what Chat GPT said about the types of copy styles it can write:
Persuasive: I can write copy that is designed to persuade and convince readers to take a particular action, such as making a purchase or signing up for a service. This style of copy often includes strong calls to action, emotional appeals, and persuasive language.
Informative: I can write copy that is focused on providing information and educating readers about a particular topic or product. This style of copy often includes data, statistics, and other factual information.
Humorous: I can write copy that is designed to entertain and engage readers through humor and wit. This style of copy often includes puns, jokes, and playful language. My note: Don’t expect to roll on the floor laughing!
Professional: I can write copy that is more formal and professional in tone, suitable for business-to-business marketing or other formal contexts. This style of copy often includes more technical language, data-driven arguments, and a focus on industry-specific terminology.
Conversational: I can write copy that is more conversational and informal, suitable for social media or other casual contexts. This style of copy often includes more colloquial language, personal anecdotes, and a focus on engaging readers through conversation.
Want to see an example?
I input this simple text promoting a short report of mine (from one of my emails),
“Need to grow your list first? Here’s my list-building guide
Using emails to build your business (email marketing) is an important skill, but if you need to grow your list first, check out my guide, “30 Days to a Massive, Responsive List.”
The title is a bit overblown, but “30 Steps” is accurate — it’s just that it will probably take you more than 30 days. But the information is solid and valid, so give it a try and at $17, it’s a no-brainer.
Click here to purchase 30 Days to a Massive, Responsive List”
If you’re interested in this report, you can get it here.
I then asked Chat GPT to write it in those styles. Here is the copy that Chat GPT wrote for me…
“Sure, here are the rewrites of the marketing copy in five different styles:
Persuasive: Want to take your business to the next level with email marketing? It all starts with a strong email list. Don’t know where to start? Check out my guide, “30 Days to a Massive, Responsive List.” With solid information and proven tactics, this guide is a must-have for any marketer serious about building a responsive email list. Get it now for just $17 and start building your list today!
Informative: Building a responsive email list is a crucial step in any email marketing strategy. If you’re just starting out, my guide “30 Days to a Massive, Responsive List” can help. This comprehensive guide offers 30 practical steps to help you build a list that is both large and responsive. And at just $17, it’s a no-brainer for any marketer looking to build their list.
Humorous: Tired of your email list feeling like a ghost town? Need some help getting it off the ground? My guide, “30 Days to a Massive, Responsive List” can help. Sure, the title may be a bit overblown, but with 30 practical steps to follow, you’ll be on your way to a responsive list in no time. And at just $17, it’s a steal!
Professional: Are you struggling to build a responsive email list for your business? Look no further than my guide, “30 Days to a Massive, Responsive List.” This comprehensive guide offers 30 proven steps to help you build a list that is both large and engaged. And at just $17, it’s a cost-effective solution for any business looking to improve their email marketing efforts.
Conversational: Hey there! If you’re looking to boost your email marketing game, building a responsive email list is a great place to start. My guide, “30 Days to a Massive, Responsive List” can help. While the title may be a bit over the top (30 days? Yeah, right!), the guide is packed with 30 practical steps to help you build a list that is both large and engaged. And at just $17, it’s a steal!
I think that reading the different styles is helpful in deciding what feels comfortable to you. Of course, you can mix and match.
Which style is most appealing and compelling to you? Which would you actually use? Please leave a comment!
Then, try rewriting some copy in those styles and of course, you can ask Chat GPT to do that for you.
Pick up my free “10 Techniques for Better Results from Your Emails” email course
I have a free email course that will help you get more opens, clicks, and income from your emails. It isn’t about copywriting or Chat GPT but if you understand that emails are important for your online business, you’ll want to get this.
If you implement these 10 techniques, you’ll see clear results. Here’s what one customer said, “I found 10 Techniques for Better Results from Your Emails to be a gem. In fact, there were gems in every lesson! As a professional who actually does, and indeed teaches, much of what is in the course, I found enough extra actionable content in the series to make it well worth the time I spent with it. On a scale of 1-5, with 5 being most likely, how likely am I to recommend it to a friend or colleague? This one gets a solid 5 out of 5!” – Stephen B. Henry