A few months ago I did a survey of my subscribers. I do this every couple of years because it helps me know what they need. It also gives me LOTS of topics for blog posts in which I answer the questions and concerns raised in the survey.
A number of issues were from people just starting out. Here are some examples:
- “Help me to write a landing page for at least one service or product to get me started.”
- “Help me make a plan with specific steps to generate $1000 per month and what I would need to do to accomplish this. I am suffering from overwhelm and can’t make the right steps.”
- “What are my first five action steps to get my business started?”
- “If I start small, where would be best? I am trying to create content from my book to market that stuff first and build a platform so that when my book comes out, I will have a following.”
- “What is the one most popular/ profitable/ easiest to produce / easiest to market product or service for a beginner to start with?”
- “Help me create a sales page for virtual assistant work to get me started.”
Can you feel the frustration and confusion?
It actually hurts my heart to read these comments! I wonder how long these budding entrepreneurs have been struggling?
It isn’t really possible to get detailed information on your specific situation for nothing, for zero investment. You really do need 1-on-1 guidance to get your questions answered. After all, after you get an answer to one question, the next day another question will come up.
But I can come close!
So, maybe you too are wondering, “How do I get started online?”
Here are the 13 steps to get started with a new online business, whether you want to make $1000/month or $10,000 per month. They may sound familiar…
- Make sure you’re starting the right business for you. My blog post, “3 business models and which is the right for you” is a good place to start, if you also read the posts that I link to there about passion, skill and market. Then choose a business name and register it locally. (I still have the form I completed in 1991 in Fairfield, Iowa to start my first business!)
- Do some research on niches and keywords to make sure you have a market. This link goes to all of my posts on keywords and Search Engine Optimization (SEO). Warning: Lots of great stuff there!
- Choose a domain name for your website and purchase it. Choose a web host and pay for hosting. I recommend NameCheap for registering a domain name and A2Hosting for hosting.
- Install WordPress, choose a theme and start creating some blog posts and pages.
- Design a weekly workflow that includes blogging, then promoting your posts via email and social media.
- Set up an email service and opt-in form. The opt-in form lets people subscribe to your email list and you get the code from your email service. I recommend MadMimi for simplicity if you don’t need advanced features and won’t be doing affiliate marketing. For more features and if you will do affiliate marketing, use AWeber.
- Set up your social media accounts.
- Create your first product or service.
- Write a sales page on your website.
- Set up an online sales system, including a shopping cart, merchant account/gateway, and create a Buy Now button for your sales page.
- Create your first sales campaign, telling people about your product/service via email and social media. If possible, ask some friends to help you promote it.
- Continue to use other methods to promote yourself and what you offer, with guest blog posts and articles, partnering, events (such as webinars and Blabs), videos, etc.
- Analyze your results and continue to learn more advanced marketing techniques.
Does this sound familiar? If so, that’s because it’s from my free guide, 13 Steps to Create a Successful Internet Business.
But it’s pretty vague, isn’t it?
Yes, it is. It’s comprehensive, but not specific. That’s because the details can get pretty overwhelming for a beginner. This guide is meant to provide you with an overview for starting an online business.
So how do you move forward? In my experience, you need to invest in a coach, online community, group coaching program, mastermind group, or something similar.
I have 2 coaches and participate in a weekly mastermind group with one of them. I also have access to my coaches via email and for one, a weekly open office hours session whenever I want. I love being able to get answers to my questions from more experienced marketers!
I offer coaching on many levels. Look these options over and see if one will meet your needs. You’ll be glad you did… because instead of confusion and doubt, you’ll experience confidence and–most important–results!
Here is what I offer, starting with the most intensive program.
VIP Day: This is a 6-hour intensive day of coaching. There’s some advanced preparation so we can start working right away. We’ll work out the next steps to take your business forward toward your goals, whether they are $1000 per month or a lot more. We generally plan for 6 months to a year so that you have a blueprint for success moving forward.
Personal coaching: This is 2-4 times per month in a 1-on-1 meeting, tailored to your goals and starting from where you are now. We talk about what you’ll implement and how, then you go and do it. During each meeting, I’ll work with you to make your next steps simple and clear. You’ll have ongoing guidance to bring your business to the next level.
Reach the Stars Club: If you have a limited budget, then Reach the Stars Club is for you. You’ll get reports and worksheets on a new marketing topic every 2 weeks,,, plus there’s a private Facebook group where you can ask questions. Best of all, each week, you can make an appointment for a 1/2-hour private session with me. These sessions are an amazing value! One member said, “I left the session feeling more positive and action orientated than I have in awhile.”
If one of these doesn’t meet your needs, check out the other options on my coaching page.
What are you going to do next?
What is your next step to get to the point where you can make the income your skills and knowledge deserve? So you can help solve problems that others have and get paid well doing it? Leave a comment and make a commitment to yourself and the world!
And don’t forget to share this post using the Share buttons below, because it may help someone who really needs the help.