In an earlier blog post, “What should you write in your free report?” I explained how to decide on a topic and some formats you can use.
But some of my students are still having problems writing a free report. In a recent class, we had a discussion about this topic. Some great ideas came out and I thought I’d share them with you.
Compile blog posts
Do you have a good selection of blog posts? Put them together into a free report. Few people will come to your site and read through weeks or months of blog posts, but if you collect them in an organized fashion, they’ll get great benefit.
Here are the steps:
- Decide on your topic and write an attractive title.
- In Microsoft Word (or a substitute), create a table of contents.
- Create chapter titles or just headings that match the table of contents.
- Copy and paste the blog posts into their appropriate section. Organize them so the text flows well.
- Write a short intro and conclusion.
- Add links to your Sales/Services page or to specific sales pages.
- Convert to PDF.
Break up a book
One of my students has written a book and his website is partly a way to sell the book.
If you, too, have a longer document, you can take selections from it and turn it into a free report. You can also offer a free chapter. This is very commonly done, even for books published by major publishers.
Copy and paste your existing content into a document and turn it into a PDF. Also follow the steps above for creating a title and organizing the content. Continue reading →