An effective way to partner with someone is to offer unlimited future commissions in return for sending people to your website to get some free bonuses.
Why is this type of affiliate arrangement so effective? Lots of people will sign up for the free products, because they don’t have to buy anything. This makes the technique a powerful way to grow your list. Then, when the subscribers do buy something in the future, the partner will get affiliate commissions. The trend now is to set your affiliate program for cookies that never expire. Another trend is to use an affiliate program that recognizes referrals by their email rather than a cookie — this is generally a more stable setup long-term.
The process is a bit complicated and will probably take 3-4 hours of your time. Here are the steps:
- In your shopping cart, create a free product (price = $0)
- Set up the product in your shopping cart or separate affiliate program (such as a 3rd party or membership site affiliate program).
- Create a sales page for the free product and add a button so people can “purchase” it. The button might say, “Get it for free!”
- Configure your shopping cart or membership program to deliver the free product by redirecting people to a web page with a link to the product or by sending out an email with a link to the product (or both).
- Notify affiliates about the product. Tell them how to get their affiliate code. The process varies according to your affiliate program.
- Create a sample email for your affiliate partner to send out that includes the affiliate link — or they can include the link on their own.
- Send the partner the sample email and information about the offer. Agree on a time to send out the email.
What happens when someone uses the affiliate link
Now, your affiliate sends out the affiliate link to your free product. Your affiliate may use email, social media, etc. Here’s the long-term structure:
- People use the affiliate link to get the free product.
- Those people are now registered as referrals of that affiliate.
- They are also on your customer list. You need to get them on your subscriber list. You can include a notice on the sales page that they’ll also get a free subscription to your newsletter, use double opt-in or another method to ensure that people don’t consider your emails spam. Depending on your system, you may have to add them by exporting your customers from your shopping cart data and importing them to your email list.
- Whenever one of those people buys a product from you, your affiliate will get a commission!
Have you done something like this? Would you like to? Let me know if I can help; leave a comment!